Dealing With The Complex Calculations Of Child Support

Every parent owes their children support as they grow up. This fundamental assumption underlies much of the law relating to this part of a family law. Even if you were not married, you still owe your children support. If you have children, you may worry about receiving enough child support or paying too much child support. We want to help you get it right because they are your children.

Our attorney and our team at MGM Law, P.A., can help you understand all of the factors that go into making a child support determination. While a Florida statute section governs the amount, there are numerous elements that make up that calculation, and we can help you work through the process.

The Basic Factors For Child Support

There are three main factors that are used to determine the amount of child support. They are:

  • The income of both parents
  • The child's health care and child care costs
  • The standard needs for the child

The income calculation can be complex, and the court will consider multiple elements of what is income. A court may also look at additional factors which can affect these calculations. For instance, a court will impute income to an individual who is unemployed or underemployed, as they presume the person needs a job and income to survive, and a parent cannot avoid their child support payments by working fewer hours or by taking a lower paying job.

The amount of time your child spends with you will also affect your support payment. This again can be a very complex calculation, and we can help you understand what goes into this determination. We can also help you challenge the amounts claimed by the other side when it appears their claims are clearly outside the guidelines.

We know how important these payments can be, and we can assist with support enforcement in cases where an individual fails to make payments. If you have a support obligation and are falling behind, contact us and speak with our attorney. These payments will not go away, and you cannot discharge them in bankruptcy. You may be eligible for a modification, and we can explain what you need to do to show this.

Contact Our Firm

Call our Pensacola office to speak with our child support lawyer with a free initial consultation at 850-450-1755 or use our convenient online form.

Copyright © 2019 MGM law, P.A. — Mins WordPress theme by GoDaddy